The 3 Most Common Causes of Home Fires
Understanding The Most Common Sources of Home Fires
Items you use daily can be the most common sources of fire in your North Deering,ME, home. It may be hard to imagine that the space heater you have always loved could cause a home fire, but that is just what can happen. Understanding the most common sources of home fires can help you reduce your risk of injury and property damage.
Cooking Equipment Building codes require smoke detectors near kitchens because fires related to cooking represent nearly half of all residential fires and often result in the need for complex fire restoration services. Several kitchen scenarios can create the dangerous combination of high heat and combustible materials.
A hot stove burner can cause grease on a pan or a burner to ignite.
A hot oven can ignite grease that has splashed or dripped onto the oven interior.
Food in close proximity to a glowing broiler coil is susceptible to combustion.
Small appliances, such as toasters and griddles, can ignite crumbs or grease.
A hot barbecue grill can ignite a nearby item, such as a landscape plant or wooden fence.
Frequently cleaning your cooking equipment and appliances, and observing all cooking activities will significantly minimize the likelihood of a cooking-related home fire.
Space heaters can overheat, igniting various internal components and nearby items such as drapes, upholstery or carpets. Following the instructions on the appliance carefully and making sure the heater is never unattended can reduce your fire risk from these sources.
Human error contributes to each category of common fire causes, but certain behaviors are known to raise fire risk dramatically. Unattended lit cigarettes cause more residential fire fatalities than any other source; consequently, smoking in the bedroom is strongly discouraged. Unattended burning candles pose a similar risk.
Much of fire safety is common sense. The primary goal is to keep fuel sources, such as grease or textiles, separated from flame or high heat. Equally important is being present to observe anything that is burning or has an active heating element. These precautions are simple and may save you from experiencing a home fire and a disruptive fire cleaning and restoration process.